. The Transom .

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Could I have the best job in the world?

I'm often asked why I love my job so much. While the specifics of my job are very fulfilling, I enjoy the business of public relations even more. For those students searching for a reason to look at the field of public relations, consider this:
  1. Access - Very few professions outside of PR allow you the opportunity to counsel senior managers and C-level executives on a regular basis about issues influencing their business. Access to these individuals is rare for most, but in PR it is critical and expected.
  2. Knowledge - In an agency setting, a PR professional will usually work on a handful of client accounts. We get to learn the behind-the-scenes information about a wide variety of industries. In just the last year I've had the chance to learn in-depth information about coal mining, wireless telecommunications, playground design and selection criteria, risk management, luxury hotel operations, soyfoods and their health implications, and much more. For those with a thirst for knowledge, agency PR is a fantastic choice. If absolutely nothing else, you'll kill at cocktail party small talk.
  3. People - The people who choose public relations as their profession tend to have certain commonalities. I believe these are a thirst for knowledge, a love of influence, an outgoing and robust personality, and the ability to learn and adapt quickly. Not a bad set of skills to have for your peer group.
  4. Results - I can't tell you how fulfilling it is to see the results of your labor put to good use. We counsel companies about the most important issues they face. When our advice is taken and acted upon, it is a feeling a great pride that we have contributed to the positive outcome of that counsel.
  5. The Profession - I've never witnessed another profession with such strong ties among the membership. I speak with other agencies on a regular basis about issues facing the industry, best practices, agency management, etc. As a group, we are constantly sharing and learning from each other. I have people all over the country, and the world, that I can call on with questions, advice, or just to share a joke.

I would love to hear thoughts from both PR insiders and other professions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home