. The Transom .

Monday, December 10, 2007

The balanced opinion that isn't

I recently submitted a commentary to a well known newspaper, on a topic of their request. The topic was the proliferation of 'new media' and the use by companies and individuals to promote products and services through these new channels. Part of that commentary dealt with the abandonment of traditional print advertising in favor or more online or word of mouth marketing efforts. This of course, is the truth.

However, my submission was sent back and asked to be 'tweaked' so as not to come out and say that advertising in certain print publications, namely the one I submitted to, is a bad idea. Forgive me for thinking that commentary was more than my opinion and perspective. I didn't know I was supposed to be writing my opinion in the way the paper wanted it.

It's a shame that certain media are all too comfortable spitting out editorials and opinions when it suits them, and squashing the balanced opinion when it differs from their interests.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home