. The Transom .

Friday, July 20, 2007

The future of the Internet

At some point, we should sit down and think about the future of the Internet. What is the next evolution? How can it possible get better, not just faster? Speed will be a measuring stick for sure, but what about the experience and the functionality of the Web? Everything since the dawn of time has evolved and the Internet will be no different. A colleague told me she thought Second Life was the future of the Internet. Having people 'inside' the Web interacting and experiencing more than just a static two dimensional page was the future. In that future, we would no longer simply view a page, we would be inside it. Content meets experience meets interaction meets sharing.

I have to admit, it sounds great. But is that the future of the Internet? I don't think so. I can't picture my parents, barely able to navigate the most basic sites now, navigating their avatar around the 'new Web' in Second Life. The current Web is easy. Type and address, get the information. No moving parts. No flying. No trying to figure out how to walk around an island without getting stuck. The future Web in Second Life would confuse too many people.

However, that kind of thinking about the Internet of tomorrow is absolutely on the right track. I think it will be a blend of the current Internet and something like Second Life. Getting into the content, in some form, will make sense. Being able to experience the content, and engage other viewers while doing it, will be the future. The applications for learning and sharing are endless in an Internet like that. Making it easy enough for the masses will allow it to succeed.

3 Comments:

  • Do you ever get frustrated at the current fragmentation online? While I think it's just evidence of the vast entrepreneurship online, I get annoyed with maintaining Facebook, Flickr, my blogs, my work sites, Twitter....geez, I could go on for an hour.

    I don't know if at some point I'm going to gravitate toward 1-2 places....at the moment I feel compelled to live in many.

    By Blogger lcreekmo, at Friday, July 20, 2007 8:31:00 PM  

  • Yes, it is definitely frustrating to go through my zillion applications. And I do think it will shake out in some respect. But, it's also nice being able to reach people faster and more easily than ever before. It just needs balance.

    By Blogger Rob Amberg, at Monday, July 23, 2007 6:19:00 AM  

  • LOL! I completely agree! I mean, there are days when I have to get up, brush my teeth, comb my hair AND shower. I mean, OMG, can't they make something to speed that up?!?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, July 23, 2007 7:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home